Some dismanteling / refitting questions

Some dismanteling / refitting questions

Postby Waynus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Time for a winter maintenance and cleaning.
My bike is now in a not-looking-like-a-motorbike state :D
Some questions:

1) I know have the chance to remove the lambda sensor + wiring. (PC V)
Anyone knows the thread for the replacement bolt I should fit in the (titanium) headers ? Ironzie ?

--> M18 x 1.5mm

2) The manual states "make sure the throttle cable is routed above the airbox breather hose
Original, throttle cable was routed below, never had any issues. Any ideas ?
--> Anyone removed / rerouted the breather hose to avoid oil in the air box ?

3) Anyone removed the the "heat protector" behind the rad / above the cylinder cover without removing the radiator ?
Would like to check the valve clearance...

You have to remove the radiator unfortunately...

4) I always believed my bike didn't had the swingarm excessive play.
Now with the reservoir removed, I can move the right side spacers sideways for about 3mm. Should I fit the additional spacers set ?

--> Only the right side washer has some play, which seems normal to me

5) can I dismount the BMW DIN sensor and simply replace it by a USB port or am I missing something?
--> Yes, but since it's with a specific connector and mount; I'll use an USB adaptor in the original outlet

6) Should I fear ECU programming is required if I diconnect the battery for a long time ?
--> No :D

Thanks for all the input !
Other questions likely to follow ;)
Last edited by Waynus on Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I hereby swear to almighty Goddess Nuda that I will ride her as hard as I can and have all things needed to keep her running in peak form taking me to new heights everyday. Amen.
Waynus

Re: Some dismanteling / refitting questions

Postby Zorg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:06 pm

I use an Arrow lambda blanking bolt which has lockwire holes ;)
And yes, do the swingarm spacers.
Built by craftsman, Tuned by experts, Riden by lunatics! :D
Zorg

Postby Waynus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:48 pm

1) Thanks, now solved! Ordered a M18 x 1.5mm titanium cap.

4) After closer inspection, I'm only able to move the black washer (tilt 1mm)
With all force, unable to move the swing arm sideways, while the (now lightweight) bike is on its Bursig stand.
Will leave it as is

5) can I dismount the BMW DIN sensor and simply replace it by a USB port or am I missing something?

6) Should I fear ECU programming is required if I diconnect the battery for a long time ?

Sorry for the sh#tload of questions
I hereby swear to almighty Goddess Nuda that I will ride her as hard as I can and have all things needed to keep her running in peak form taking me to new heights everyday. Amen.
Waynus

Postby Boocercus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Waynus wrote:5) can I dismount the BMW DIN sensor and simply replace it by a USB port or am I missing something?

If by "DIN sensor", you mean the aux. power socket residing on the left side of the engine, then the answer is: Yes, it can be dismounted. Although I see no point in doing that, since there are ready made options like this one, if you need to charge something via USB.

My bike is usually in winter storage from October to April, during which time the battery is disconnected and I've never had any problems.
Boocercus

Postby Waynus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Almost there, thanks guys !
Waynus

Postby CSL » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:22 am

6: no, but when refitting, if it's fiddly, I suggest you remove the 30A fuse, it happened to me when fitting a new Lithium battery it went and corrupted the ECU and had to take it to the dealer to reset it.
CSL

Postby Waynus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:04 am

Yeah, I remembered you wrote something about that here some time ago.
Do you think you accidentally short circuit by touching the frame with the + pole ?
Waynus

Postby CSL » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:41 am

Waynus wrote:Yeah, I remembered you wrote something about that here some time ago.
Do you think you accidentally short circuit by touching the frame with the + pole ?

Anything was possible as I got frustrated by having a short(ish) PCV cable and was trying to force the connection.
CSL

Postby Waynus » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Turns out I had to remove the radiator out of the way.
Extra job on the (now) long list... Fill, bleed,... the cooling system.

Has everyone this heat panel fitted on his Nuda ? It's above / in front of the valve cover.
I can't seem to find it in the part diagrams anywhere, nor does the manual says anything about (dis)assembly.
I also find out the holes at the center of my valve cover are unthreaded. So can't use the cover + screws I bought.

All this labour for changing spark plugs, checking valves, changing cam chain + tensioner :o
Waynus

Postby Waynus » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:39 pm

So... since there's no center plate installed in the valve cover (unthreaded holes) all road debris end up in the lower gasket.
Doesn't seem right to me... :roll:
Waynus

Next

Return to Engine & Technical