Ironzies exhaust project

smokyadamt

Re: Ironzies exhaust project

Post by smokyadamt » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:34 am

Ironzie wrote:The first mistake i made was to not have 100% in my head what i was going to build (one or two silencers ) this caused alot more work when i decided that i didn't like the look of the twin silencers ,my problem was i had run each primary header down each side of the engine and when it came to joining two into one it became a real pain ,problem was the primary headers were longer than std but the overall length from head to silencers tip was close ,tested today and the outcome is i have lost some torque right at the first crack of the throttle and gained a little more on top and i can't say i like the trade off sooo im gonna scrap it and :lol: start all over again!!
Do you happen to have a power commander fitted?

adam11

Post by adam11 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:12 pm

I would have imagined that longer headers would've brought the power in at lower revs?

Lovely workmanship 8-)

CaptainScarlett

Post by CaptainScarlett » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:34 pm

different exhaust require different air filter...and reprogrammed torque power through power commander... the engine doesn't know you have altered its noisy bits and is trying to fuel at the original rate.... apologies if you already know this.. ;)

Waynus

Post by Waynus » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:53 pm

adam11 wrote:I would have imagined that longer headers would've brought the power in at lower revs?
Longer mufflers should increase torque, not the headers.
Shorter mufflers = power!
I hereby swear to almighty Goddess Nuda that I will ride her as hard as I can and have all things needed to keep her running in peak form taking me to new heights everyday. Amen.

Ironzie

Post by Ironzie » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:24 am

Smoky: no i don't have a power commander ,i really like the fact i get such brilliant fuel mileage (59-61mph) commuting to my work

adam11: thanks! I know your hands on like me so you appreciate a bit of metal work, yes from what i have read the longer header pipe should give more low end power but how much longer and how much is too long? That titanium is such a bitch to gas in my garage i used a full bottle (half size) to make what you see

Captain:i certainly don't know enough about combustion and fueling mate ,my friend used to run a dyno and told me that when you add a free flowing exhaust generally you need to lean the bottom and richen the top but i thought you didn't need to remap to fit the husky Leo silencer As the fueling self adjusts?

Waynus: the math involved with exhaust primarys and secondarys is crazy and im stupid ,even the experts can't agree thou the f1 boys seem to know what they r talking about but there 19000rpm's don't relate to us but in general a longer primary header with a smaller bore will give more low end power but interestingly if the secondary header is too short it can really hurt the torque ,my secondary is short and i have lost some torque keep in mind the silencer is and extension of the secondary so in theory lengthening it can increase torque ,its all to do with the positive wave returning back as an negative wave

brom

Post by brom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:59 am

boy am I glad I know nothing and just ride :lol: :lol: :lol:

adam11

Post by adam11 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:16 pm

It certainly is a black art, all this reversion business! The calcs I use for building headers are from Graham Bells tuning book (he's done one for 2 strokes as well) although mine have only been for Ducati singles. These were then tested on a Dyno and seemed to confirm what Bell predicted, although there was a leeway of about 11/2 in length :D
I hasten add, these were either in mild steel or stainless (if I could blag the right bends :lol: ) I wouldn't dream of attempting to build any system in Ti as I know how difficult, expensive, and way beyond my welding skills, it can be to work with ;)

Considering where you're located, do you have any contacts at QUB? Dr Gordon Blair used to Head up the Engineering Dept there, and he was aknowleged as a World authority in gas dynamics 8-) (and he loved bikes)
Last edited by adam11 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adam11

Post by adam11 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:25 pm

If anyone fancies a one off system for their bike, then contact my mate Alan (and fellow Buell owner) at aph-performance-engineering.com Check out his gallery ;)
He's just built some incredibly complicated exhaust system for a vintage car owned by Mario Andretti 8-)

Zorg

Post by Zorg » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:35 am

Thanks for the aph link adam. Can you tell me where they are based? Site doesn't seem to say. :|
Built by craftsman, Tuned by experts, Riden by lunatics! :D

adam11

Post by adam11 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:42 pm

He's based near Silverstone in the Midlands.