Arrow Racing Collectors

CSL

Arrow Racing Collectors

Post by CSL » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Took me about 2 hours to fit (taking my time). You do not have to remove the radiator as there is plenty of space to remove the original, but you do need good tools especially a set with pivoting heads and extenders so that you can get to the nuts behind the radiator.

The hardest part was unscrewing the o2 sensor. I decided I did not want to start messing up the cabling and trying to disconnect the o2 sensor at source. Its easier to unscrew it while everything is still bolted on the bike as you need a lot of power. Make sure you start the bike for at least 2 minutes as the heat makes it easier to unscrew. I had to use a rubber mallet to tap the wrench to unscrew it.

Arrow got the fabrication 100% accurate and I did not have to push, align or force anything.

Removing the original
1. Unscrew the O2 sensor
2. Remove the can
3. Remove the Exhaust valve cables (loosen the 2 nuts on each side)
4. Remove the header nuts
5. Remove the bolt holding the bracket under the bike near the CAT.
6. Push forward and the whole thing comes out.

Fitting
1. Fit the 2 collectors and leave them loose. The longer collector is on the left cylinder (as you sit on the bike)
2. Fit the second part of the collector (2 in 1)
3. Start tightening the cylinder nuts, one at a time and a little at a time. Just before they are completely tight, fit the bolt under the bike (I used a grade 4 SS shorter bolt as the original is too long) and tighten it fully. Go back and tighten the cylinder nuts fully.
4. Fit the Can back and you are good to go.

I used a couple of Cable ties to hide the exhaust valve cables under the bike.

Fluffy

Arrow Racing Collectors... The Sequel

Post by Fluffy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:28 am

Mornign Csl, in my normal/painful way ~ could I please seek a little more detail?

The 02 sensor/exhaust valve cables ~ is there not a simple approach to their removal without the more temporary approach of cable-ties? My OCD is kicking in... elsewhere on forum someone made reference to unplugging a connection and adding silicone to seal, not connected to the O2/exhaust valve cables I take it?

Secondly, where the pipe joins the cyclinder head, no form of gasket used (solid or sealant)?

Thirdly, any idea of torque settings, particularly in respect of cyclinder head bolts (don't get me started on snapped studs/Yamaha RD400's/the late '80s!) and elsewhere in the exercise?

Fourthly, Arrow or Roads Italia?

Fifthly ~ I'm running the Leo Vince can until Akra or Termi release similar quality/nice sounding piece ~ it is too loud with out the Db killer in (having again tried it over the weekend) and sound is 'wrong' (sounds more like XBR400 or old British bike). By fitting the Arrow (or similar) collectors, is there a noticeable difference in sound levels?

Finally, if can remains road legal, is bike still otherwise road legal with O2 sensor removed, etc, etc?

Thanks once again for your help.

Fluffy

PS ~ did you do a photo guide!?!?

CSL

Re: Arrow Racing Collectors

Post by CSL » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:08 am

You guys are confusing the o2 censor with the exhaust valve. The o2 stays and you cannot run the bike without it. You unscrew from old and screw in new.

Exhaust valve cables: You can trace them and somehow remove them from the control box, you can also unplug the electrical connection. I prefer to cable tie them out of sight, leave the electrical connection sealed in place. Heck, I think you can even remove the control box all together if you wish. IMO, the simplest way is to cable tie them as its the easiest way if you wish to put the bike back together as original, but its your call.

No gaskets are used on the Nuda for the collectors.

No idea on torque settings. I do it by feel when I do not have the figures.

Never knew Roads Italia did collectors. I would still use Arrows as the fit, alignment and finish where perfect.

There is a noticeable difference in sound with the racing collectors. Deeper at low revs and screams at higher revs. Is it road legal or not, I cannot tell you. I pass, ride beside, filter by the police everyday and no one stopped me. In any case, I do not care :) as I love the way the bike sounds, the best I ever had.

Sorry, no photo guide.If you have the right tools to reach the bolts on the cylinder head, its very easy.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:16 am

Concise, clear and helpful... thank you.

Shall I / Shan't I?

Now answer me that one....

Thanks Csl.

CSL

Post by CSL » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:28 am

Fluffy wrote:Concise, clear and helpful... thank you.

Shall I / Shan't I?

Now answer me that one....

Thanks Csl.
I think its the best 230 quid you can spend. When I had the Akra with the standard collectors, it made no difference, but with the Collectors, its noticeably quicker and better sounding.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:39 am

It won't be the first or last time I say it, "damn you"....

HeikkiL

Post by HeikkiL » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Fluffy wrote:It won't be the first or last time I say it, "damn you"....
Agree... *sigh*

EDIT: Collectors ordered... :twisted:
Last edited by HeikkiL on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dezzie

Post by dezzie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:12 pm

U got a pic of the tool you used to take the header off? Is it just a flexi head ratchet n extension with a star bit? :?
Dezzie

CSL

Post by CSL » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:28 pm

You need to use a socket with multi sides (the one on the left in the image), do not use one with 6 sides as that will most probably strip the head.
Attachments
Tools.jpg
Tools.jpg (274.56 KiB) Viewed 7547 times

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:15 pm

Super, most helpful.

One last issue before I hit ther nuclear/"pay" button, by fitting the Arrow Headers, I will still be able to fit the CF heat shield supplied with my Leo Vince ja?

Don't want it to look unfinished like.

And, and, and...

I've read it somewhere on your Posts, where did you purchase?

Thansk Csl.