From Finland to the Alps and back

Boocercus

From Finland to the Alps and back

Post by Boocercus » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Last week me and my brother got back from our two week trip down to the Alps. This was our 4th trip to the region and the second one on a Nuda, first being in 2012. Last year we flew down and rented a couple of Honda CBF 1000's, which both of us ended up hating, so it was an absolute blast to get to ride the Husqvarna again on the alpine roads :D Was also nice to have a bit more suspension travel than a normal street bike on the smaller passes which occasionally were in pretty bad shape. Only time where it really didn't feel at home was on the German autobahn, but we could still keep the speed at ~140 km/h and cover about 870 km in a day.

Weather was OK with only one day of rain and temperatures mostly around 20 degrees Celsius. The bikes performed well, my brother had a brand new Yamaha MT-09 and his only worry was whether or not the back tire would hold all the way home 'cause it was wearing down at an alarming rate on the hot autobahn. On the Nuda I had the LCD display die on two occasions following the day we rode in rain, but a power off/on fixed it both times and it hasn't done it since :?

Approximate routes driven:
1st half
2nd half

Total riding was 12 days and ~5500 kilometers (3400 miles)

Have some 7 hours of video footage from the trip and 500 photos, so I haven't had the time to go through everything yet, but some of the photos can be found here.

Nuda900Rsweden

Re: From Finland to the Alps and back

Post by Nuda900Rsweden » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:45 pm

Must have been a cool trip!!

Nice pics!

Cheers from Sweden

Ironzie

Post by Ironzie » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:00 pm

Great pics boocercus , I enjoyed them while sipping a cup of tea :)
what did u think of your brothers mt-09 ? I considered buying that bike before the nuda ,I know I would have loved that engine but the looks of the bike just didnt do It for me

Boocercus

Post by Boocercus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:38 pm

Ironzie wrote:what did u think of your brothers mt-09 ? I considered buying that bike before the nuda ,I know I would have loved that engine but the looks of the bike just didnt do It for me
I've only taken it for a short test ride (~10 km) so can't give a comprehensive write-up, but here's some points:
  • Feels light and nimble
  • Nice engine, pulls evenly through the whole rev range but feels less powerful than the Nuda
  • Brakes are OK and ABS works well, although not nearly as as good as the Brembos on the Husky
  • Suspension (preload & rebound adj. both back & front) is better than that on the standard Nuda, but not as good as the R
  • I'd say fuel consumption is on par with Nuda, on the trip the Yamaha consumed 0,1-0,5 l more per 100 km but my brother is ~15kg heavier and I tend to use more engine braking
I too considered the MT-09 last fall when I traded in my previous Nuda, but since the new Yamahas hadn't arrived yet I went with the R ( better the devil you know ;) )