Nuda Dyno and remap at Hilltop this weekend

H2O

Nuda Dyno and remap at Hilltop this weekend

Post by H2O » Tue May 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi all been meaning to do this and write this post for a couple of years but dare I say it ...I've been busy !

Been thinking about an Ecu remap on my Lovelly Nuda 2013 for 2 years now, but have decided enough is enough lets get it sorted. I have chosen to go to Hilltop as they seem to have had a fair amount of Experience with BMW's so with that I had assumed they would be able to crack any issues on the Nuda as it runs a M marelli Ecu. There a bit of a trek for me so it's not gonna be great if I'm not riding home on it, so decided to take it in the van to assure myself of safety and wellbeing. If there are any issues will either post back or work something out.

Bike in question is a Nuda 2013 with 2k miles , titanium v&h can , K&n and Arrow headers.

I will write another post and issue findings if anyone is interested ? Also would be interested in anyone's experience of them ?

I have chosen to go down the route of using a custom map generated instead of bolting a Pcv because I feel the power commander is a bit of a crude way of controlling fuel...although I did have one on My Buell I did find it crude but it was the only way back then. This time if the fuel map can be expertly mapped there is Nothing to say it won't be perfect ! As anything that is custom bespoke done it's made to measure.

I used to race Cosworths and we used to use a guy for custom maps that was Unbelieveable so I'm hoping and praying we are in the same place.

Anyway comment and postcards words of wisdom.....and Luck , thoughts.

Waynus

Re: Nuda Dyno and remap at Hilltop this weekend

Post by Waynus » Wed May 09, 2018 10:02 am

Yeah, would be very interested on the progress and results !
Never thought it would be possible to have the ECU adapted though ?
If it works out I might be very tempted to remove the PC V and take a trip to the U.K.

So.. let us know how it goes ! Cheers

PS: What's that V&H can ?
I hereby swear to almighty Goddess Nuda that I will ride her as hard as I can and have all things needed to keep her running in peak form taking me to new heights everyday. Amen.

CSL

Post by CSL » Wed May 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Very interested to see if they can re-flash the Nuda. Keep us posted.

H2O

Post by H2O » Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (600.75 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Well guys I had to undress her !...for fear of the plastics being damaged in the van...or maybe on the rolling road. 2 plugs changed wow what a day out that was. Apparently the program sits alongside the original map then adds or takes away where needed, along with any other advance or ignition changes. The dealer can't see it not that I care and neither can anyone else ! Including the friends in blue. I did have another company in mind to do this but they said they would need the bike for overnight and that although wouldn't be a problem seemed weird. These guys said " we have done a couple of Nudas , but there aren't enough of them on the roads" checked there reviews and people have said only good things so far about them. Both on Jap and Bmw. Although with all the Bmw cars going up in smoke and recalls maybe I should say nothing ! They also said wouldn't take very long at all to do ! An hour or so ! Anyway all will be revealed.

Honestly witnessing someone thrashing my bike on a dyno is like watching one of your kids get....ah forget that idea it's much worse...watching your bike get thrashed :lol:

Maybe I will try and take a vid ? Just not sure how to edit it if I use the go pro ?

Has anyone got any figures of the back wheel of there bike and torque reading ? I know this will not be a fair comparison as it needs to be same dyno same day same fuel etc. Even the air density changes all but it maybe interesting. Anyway can't wait to get it back on the road.

CSL

Post by CSL » Thu May 10, 2018 10:42 am

Here you go:
Nuda PCV Power figures.jpg
Nuda PCV Power figures.jpg (68.33 KiB) Viewed 398 times

H2O

Post by H2O » Thu May 10, 2018 6:58 pm

Thanks so much that's a good start.

Question.. Originally the Nuda if I'm right..factory produces 105bhp... You loose approx 10-15% thru drivetrain which is about 91bhp at the rear wheel. So your starting point was quite low at about 72bhp on the original I'm guessing first run. Any reason you can think of other than lean mixture filter etc ? The transformation must have been mind blowing when you left there wow what a difference !

Or did I miss something simple ?

Anyway it's gonna be interesting ...I think.

Here's what I got done today nice simple job on a very low mileage Nuda... I'm guessing the previous owner fitted this and badly! 10 min job ...um :twisted: R&G have a lot to answer for ..crap bolts more steel than stainless. There's another job for me to do ..get that bolt out.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (588.92 KiB) Viewed 395 times

H2O

Post by H2O » Thu May 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Waynus wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:02 am
Yeah, would be very interested on the progress and results !
Never thought it would be possible to have the ECU adapted though ?
If it works out I might be very tempted to remove the PC V and take a trip to the U.K.

So.. let us know how it goes ! Cheers

PS: What's that V&H can ?
Sorry wrong bike ! V&h ..vance Hines can is on the Buell ..

Nuda has the Leo Vince ..too many names.

CSL

Post by CSL » Fri May 11, 2018 9:00 am

If you have the R&G tail tidy, you might as well check the bolts, they will rust within 1 day of seeing water.

Husqvarna Quoted 105BHP and it was almost at the rear wheel and not crank. Was dynod at 104.
nuda diagram.jpg
nuda diagram.jpg (85.85 KiB) Viewed 376 times

H2O

Post by H2O » Fri May 11, 2018 6:14 pm

So if I'm correct.

As standard Nuda produces

105 bhp and 100Nm which is 73.75lb ft torque
107 bhp ..............."..........72.18lb ft torque with Leo Vince and headers and (air filter ?) and Pcv
108.................................72.70 lb ft torque with Leo Vince and headers and above without baffle

So we have lost torque from standard if I'm right and gained 3bhp from standard and put a new exhaust and headers and a Pcv.

Either my maths is crap ...which in fairness it is ! Or I'm missing something ? I know those figures are not exact but somehow I was expecting a bit more...or I was expecting starting figure to be somewhat lower.

I guess this is exactly what I thought from the beginning...different dynos give different results dependant on accuracy.

I hope I can get a before run figure without it being to lean...I know if it is lean they won't push it hard as it could go wrong big time.

Thanks for all the info so far think this will be interesting..anyone else got any results they want to share ?

As to the bolts umm :roll:

H2O

Post by H2O » Sun May 20, 2018 5:10 pm

As promised I did go to Hilltop racing up in Hinkley... Less than 2 hours from London for me. Nice enough set up there dyno and knowledgeable guys. I would go into all the previous jobs and companies these guys have worked in and teams they work for but I'm sure it would bore most people. Let's just say I was there by 8am and my appointment was at 9am. By 9am the bike was on the dyno and hooked up, by then a Ktm 17plate was there along with.. Bmw, triumph,and several other Bmw motrad boys. These guys seemed to be flocking from Wales thru to all over the uk for Ecu tweaks. The guys put there clobber on and set about doing the initial run on my bike ....it wasn't very long at all before they returned...you get to watch thru a TV Hse and all that ! The summary was that the bike was running sooo very lean that they didn't want to run on the dyno for fear of damage to the engine...however the choice was mine in whether they should do the before and after run....bearing in mind I had used this bike for 1200miles like this although not thrashing the life out of it ! Sense prevailed and I decided Not to do a before run.
They downloaded there software onto the stock Ecu and then took it for the full run. With the bikes fuel to air ratio correct there were happy to do the run. The run is done in top gear and it achieved 98.92 bhp at the rear wheel with a max torque of 68.57ftlb at 6686rpm. I took the bike out on the industrial estate and took it for a blast no helmet and gear on..instantly the bike went vertical very hard and

Bear in mind at stock 105bhp = approx 91.8 at the wheel at a 12.5% loss thru drive train

Only mods are k&n and exhaust.

Having done the run and knowing the factory output to be 105bhp at the crank as all manufactures are. I showed several dyno runs published above and asked if he had any comments to make on what he's saw on the graphs out of curiosity. Ironically he said there was a shortcoming on one of the graphs as it started in two different places, he also said that the run was not done in top gear, he was sure. Out of curiosity I called them and asked the guy who answered the phone what gear do they do there pulls in ? He said 4th ...I then said why ? And he answered " I don't know never really asked or questioned it, does it make a difference ?

Baffled by all of this I brought the bike back to London and put all the panels and bits back together. I thought I would take It out over this weekend and give it a longer blast. Well I'm pleasantly surprised, the fuelling has definetely changed for the better and it now pulls very hard from around 4K up. Don't get me wrong the bike was always a great bike to ride but it feels so much better.
I know the fuelling was very low as when I removed the plugs there was no sign of fuelling just lean as hell.
I now def need to change the stock sprockets !!

So all in all very pleased to have done this.

Also I paid for all of this no freebies or endorsements.

And yes the only thought I always had was I wonder what it had before the Ecu remap ! Apples with apples
Hope this either helps someone or entertains you !
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (677.62 KiB) Viewed 342 times